Monday, August 3, 2009

STOP THE PRESSES!

With everyone being all positive and thanking each other for the amazing music and just how great it is to be alive in 2009, I feel inspired to break what is pretty much the only rule of ComeInThrees (although, technically, I'm not breaking any rules. As the person who writes the rules, it is very easy for me to change the rules to ensure that I am not infringing. The observant among you will have noticed that I have in fact already done so, the stated rules now emphasize posting a "few" songs per month that capture your "immortal nowness" (cf. Andy Simperingham), and de-emphasize the magic number three) to post some indie-rock kumbaya.


I'm confident that this song can save the institution of marriage in much the same way as We Are The World saved Africa.

My flatmate played this album on Sunday, and I was instantly taken by this song in particular. I went ahead and bought the track immediately (from their rather spiffy website: http://quietcompany.bandcamp.com/ - if you like this track you'll prolly like the album) and must have listened to it ten times since then. I'm rushing this straight to press because I understand that August can be fairly brutal in Auckland, and that, short of skipping the country to visit Los Angeles and Las Vegas, you may need something unexpected and cheesy-yet-sincere to help you to keep smiling. Also, like I wrote in my last posting, it's been annoying to spend a month thinking too much about what songs would be good for the blog, and then "saving them up", so that by the time I posted them I wasn't nearly as obsessed with them any more. This cuts both ways, because the main reason for having the three rule in the first place was to prevent too many impulse posts of crap songs, which is arguably what this current posting represents. On the other hand, I want to have a more real-time interaction with this thing going forward, I'd rather post songs maybe one at a time, while I am obsessed with them, rather than always three at a time, weeks after the fact. But mostly I just want to know that when I am singing

Love is less what you say, and more what you
do / And who y'spend the rest of your life with /
I'm gonna spend mine with you, gonna spend mine with
you,

that y'all will be singing along with me.

But please give me feedback on this. If you think the "three rule" is necessary then that's that. Although I find it hard to believe that a revision that is partially inspired by a Christmas spent with Andy Simperingham could be bad...

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, you save it all up and then when time comes to unleash the goodness you're not as frothy with anticipation anymore. How about one song a week OR three a month?

    Quiet Company = Such a lovely song. We're inhabiting different seasons but we on the same astral pop plane, B. The group chorus at the end slayed (Slade) me.

    ReplyDelete