Thursday, August 6, 2009

Turn the lights on

Sorry I'm late. Really glad the new model is proving successful, and it's lovely to see you all on the internet. I'm going to post three songs, because it's good to obey conventions, and the name sorta implies you should and if I was allowed to do more I would, and so on.
The first song I'm posting is the new Beyoncé single, which should imply the kind of ubiquity which would render posting it a pointless exercise. But I get the feeling many of you mightn't have heard it. Just because it's kinda stalling worldwide, entered low at 39 in NZ, peaked at 91 on the Hot 100. Australia has it at number two, but that country's appreciation for music exists entirely outside of the general run of play for the rest of the world, and is the exception that proves the rule. Whatever, Sweet Dreams (which used to be called Beautiful Nightmare, which is a more appropriate title, even though you have to admire the audacity of naming a song after one of the most lauded & loved songs of the '80s, the decade it most prominently pays homage to) is a perfect song. Works in the car, 'the club', or just sitting down at home with a few good mates. I don't think anyone will do anything demonstrably better this year.
Taylor Swift's Fearless is pretty much my favourite album of the year. Every song is just so hooky and perfectly crafted, and the lyrics capture the sensation of being a teenager with way more honesty than most revisionist pop-punk emo whinings (not that I've got anything against pop-punk/emo whinings, just saying they tend toward caricature). I could pick literally any song on the record, but I'm gonna go with Forever and Always, because that little circular line "it rains in your bedroom/ everything is wrong/ it rains when you're here/ and it rains when you're gone". And has those chugging guitars which are becoming more prevalent in pop at the moment. Kills me.
Lastly, and I've changed my mind three times about this, trying to figure out whether I should post a song I admire (PNC's Bazooka's Theme, Tourettes' Letting Go, Haunted Love's Sleepwalkers) or one that I've listened to a lot lately (Jordin Sparks' No Parade or SOS, The Gossip's Love Long Distance – memorably compared to M-People by Joanna Hunkin) or one that I straight up love. I've decided to go with Miley Cyrus' Full Circle, because it fits all three categories, and as its parent album's been kind shelved while The Hannah Montana Soundtrack does its thing, it looks like it'll never be a single. It kinda reminds me of Kids in America, a pure, crystalline new wave anthem that Jett loves as much as I do. The chorus is straight killer, and I'm convinced it could've been as big a hit as See You Again had Hollywood (records) realised what they had with the song. Compared to freakin Fly on the Wall anyway. Esp given what happened with Taylor Swift's similarly perky You Belong With Me.

BeyoncĂ© – Sweet Dreams

Taylor Swift – Forever and Always

Miley Cyrus – Full Circle

All are direct link downloads, so just right click/control click and save target as etc. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment