Sunday, November 8, 2009

Every Woman, Every Man

Ooh I have stage fright, there's members of the public watching (or not). Will we show up on Hypemachine do you think? I imagine my first song to be quite Hypemachine-y, it's very avant garde in its way, vocally like White Magic but without the mysticism. I could listen to it on repeat all day. Brendan will no doubt accuse me of being a hipster (again) for posting it.

Tune-Yards – Sunlight (Bird-Brains, 2009)
"I could be the sunlight in your eyes." Kills me that line.
Buy it.

There was an earlier mention of Discovery, whose album I love very much in a way that has surprised me. I had considered doing my post-before-last solely on them, but when I couldn't even decide on three songs to post let alone one, I gave up. So here I go again:

Discovery – Can You Discover?
(Discovery, 2009)
Buy it.

I'm a real sucker for harmonies, I'm talking anything with more than two vocal parts - choirs, barber shop quartets, jingles, The Andrews Sisters, Motown, Queen, and as I recently rediscovered, The Housemartins' 'Caravan Of Love'. I saw the frankly quite odd music video on late-late-late night TV and went out and bought a beat up record for twice what it was worth ($4 as opposed to $2). I've decided to learn all the words and sing it to my kids one day...

The Housemartins – Caravan Of Love (Caravan Of Love, 1986)
Buy it.

4 comments:

  1. caravan of love is a monster. makes me feel like crazy. THX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to accuse you of hipsterism (this time). I love the drumbeat especially on the Tune-Yards track.

    But the killer tune in this selection is clearly Caravan of Love. He tries to speak and can't begin to say. I remember this track from the 80s, but i'd totally forgotten about it. so thanks, for the memories. It'd be awesome if Elephant Man got to hear this, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also worth checking for reals is the original, Isley Jasper Isley version. for reals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG just investigated - original version is super Hot Chocolate-tastic. I'm in lub, big time.

    ReplyDelete