Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How Did I Become So Obnoxious?

People,
We are all living in a psychological war.

Wait that's just in the song, I don't mean it. What I was meaning to say is that, by popular demand, three is once again the magic number. I disavow any knowledge of posting more than three songs, and of any connection, expressed or implied, to Andrew Simperingham. The one part of my previous ramblings that I would like to enshrine in ComeInThrees law is that one does not need to post all of those three songs at once. i.e. no more than three songs per month is the only rule. Simple? ComeInThrees purists are of course encouraged to continue posting all three songs in a single post, as the name implies.

Now we're down to business. I only get two songs as I posted one earlier in August.


I certainly never anticipated posting a song by P!nk to this blog, or by anyone else with an explanation mark [sic] in their name for that matter. Partly I have to admit being inspired a little bit by the AMAZING songs of Dunc's previous post. But mostly it was another driving-and-listening-to-the-radio moment (cf. The Rolling Stones - Out Of Time), driving to Santa Cruz in fact, and hold the phone - who the f*ck is singing this one? The most genuine amalgam of country music and pure pop that I've heard ... since maybe Bonnie Tyler or something. And proof of how long and strong Country's octopus arms are at sneakily getting fingers into the pie of pop music, at least of the American kind. Reminds me less of P!nk's contemporaries than artists like the already mentioned Bonnie, Dolly Parton, and even Mary Gauthier. (dammit i was gonna post a link to the song "That Way" by Ms. Gauthier but apparently it's disappeared from the YouTube. Anyways, check her out if you get the chance, phenomenal).



"...into an anonymous wall of digital sound"

YOU CAN'T F*CK WITH A LYRIC LIKE THAT!

'nuff said, except for the other part I especially love, where there's some kind of metaphor comparing an action replay of the "moment of defeat, play[ed] back over on the video screen" (this cat has a real thing for video screens/flat screen TVs, wicked), of presumably a bucking bronco rider at the rodeo getting thrown from his horse, with the moments of defeat in his own life, and consequent reflections from the video screen "somewhere deep inside [his] soul".

At least that's how I read it.

brand new Chevrolet
brand new pair of seamless pants

Fade out into crowd noise into nature noise LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment