Monday, November 16, 2009

An amazing transformation

It is true that many artists through the ages have radically redefined themselves, yet I believe that none have quite as profoundly as Alex Ebert. A few years ago, I had the fortune of seeing Ima Robot (a poppy dance rock band) live. Fast forward to this fall, at the treasure island music festival, and I'm watching Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, what I can only explain as a hippie commune that decided to write and play songs together. And then - here's the punchline - I discover that the frontman for both bands is...the same man! This long-bearded, dread-locked hippie is the pop-rocker I had seen just 3 years ago. And the music is just as different as Alex Ebert's appearance. And I just happen to be obsessed with both bands right now.

As per our new blog rules, I will not post links to the youtube videos. But I strongly encourage you to look them up yourselves and witness this astounding transformation for yourselves.

Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros - Home

Ima Robot - Creeps Me Out

And just for good measure, I'm also currently obsessed with Thao with the Get Down Stay Down:

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down - Bag of Hammers


Shake! Shake! Shake!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sarah!

    Your post reminds me also of Tim DeLaughter ,

    Also, to clarify the YouTube stuff - I think YouTube posts are fine, but the hope was that YouTube postings would be in addition to mp3s, rather than instead of, a la Leonie's post: http://comeinthrees.blogspot.com/2009/10/chris-brown-syndrome-in-full-effect-i.html .

    Another thing, any "rules" are really just suggestions or preferences, and I hope that no one is deterred from posting because of "our new blog rules". We would all much prefer that people post something, even if it's youtubes only, rather than nothing at all (if posting mp3s is something you don't want to do for any reason). Same thing applies re: choice of file hosting.

    -b.

    ReplyDelete